Do you feel stressed just thinking about your dental appointment? Does the prospect of a dental procedure make you want to run and hide? Believe it or not, these feelings are fairly normal. In some cases, they can be overwhelming.
Sedation dentistry exists to specifically address these issues. Dental anxiety, oversensitivity, and more are common issues that can be made easier to handle with sedation treatment during your procedure.
TYPES OF SEDATION
We provide three main types of sedation:
- Nitrous Oxide – Nitrous oxide is commonly known as “laughing gas”. The sedative is mixed with oxygen and administered through a small mask that fits over your nose. You are usually fully conscious during your procedure, while feeling more relaxed.
- Conscious Sedation – Conscious sedation comes in the form of a pill. You generally take your pill an hour before the procedure. This method allows you to remain conscious through your procedure, although you may not be able to remember every detail clearly.
- I.V. Sedation – I.V. sedation is also known as “sleep dentistry”. We can administer your sedation through an I.V. injection and, in most cases, you sleep through your procedure.
HOSPITAL GRADE ANESTHESIA
In some cases, you may need something stronger than our regular sedation treatments. For those moments, Dr. Massie can perform your dental procedures at Lake Regional Hospital using hospital grade anesthesia. Dr. Massie will discuss your options and help you determine which sedation treatment is best for you.
BENEFITS OF SEDATION DENTISTRY
- Lower Dental Anxiety – If you’re someone who suffers from dental anxiety, sedation dentistry can help you relax and better handle that anxiety during your treatment.
- Stay Aware – Depending on your sedation option, you may be able to stay aware throughout the entire procedure and answer the dentists’ questions when necessary.
- Avoid Needles – We have sedation options that allow you to get sedation treatment without the need for an injection, such as nitrous oxide and conscious sedation.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The key to getting sedation dentistry is to communicate with us. We will be happy to discuss our options, to help determine which fits your need best. Some sedation options may not be available for same-day treatment, so it is best to discuss this in advance.
SEDATION DENTISTRY MAY BE WHAT YOU NEED!
At Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark, we are aware that fear could tempt you to skip important dental appointments. We focus on having a wide array of sedation options for you to help make the experience more pleasant. Call us about sedation today!