Most people probably know how a pediatric dentist differs from an orthodontist. But you may not know that there are multiple dental specialties. This post from Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark looks at the disciplines within dentistry.
- Endodontics: This area focuses on dental pulp and periradicular tissues. If you need a root canal, you may require the services of an endodontist.
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics: If you want to straighten your teeth, you need an orthodontist. Dentofacial orthopedic specialists correct facial deformities using many of the same types of appliances used in teeth straightening therapy.
- Pediatric Dentistry: Pediatric dentists provide dental care for infants, children and teenagers.
- Periodontics: This is the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the tissues around the teeth – the gums, that is.
- Prosthodontics: Prosthodontists provide restorative dental procedures including dental implants, crowns, bridges, and dentures. They also perform cosmetic dental treatments.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology: This specialty concerns diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial regions.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology: Oral and maxillofacial radiologists analyze radiographic images (x-rays) for issues of the maxillofacial area.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Oral surgeons perform surgery on the teeth, jaw, face, and gums. These include facial reconstruction, cleft lip and palate correction, bone grafting, dental implants, and impacted teeth.
- Dental Public Health: This discipline focuses on the prevention and treatment of dental diseases, and promoting dental health through community effort.
At Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark we offer general and restorative dentistry. We’ve also provided referrals to patients from Lake of the Ozarks and Osage Beach to specialists throughout the area. Call to schedule an appointment with us today!
Contact Premier Dental & Oral Health Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):