Our teeth work hard and are constantly under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. At Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark, we want all our patients to protect their tooth enamel.
Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely widespread. The good news is that it is also largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal problems, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Premier Dental & Oral Health Group, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent continued erosion if some has already transpired.
Enamel Erosion Facts
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body. Once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion.
- Vigorous brushing can hurt enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent additional erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been harmed. Call Premier Dental & Oral Health Group to schedule an examination. Services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Call today!
Contact Premier Dental & Oral Health Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):