Many residents are afraid to go to the dentist. We at Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark MO understand the fear. For some men and women with dental anxiety, it’s because they had a painful experience at the dentist when they were young. Others fear needles or a perceived lack of control. Another oft-cited reason people are scared of the dentist is the dreaded dental drill.
If you need dental treatment and are putting it off, we have fantastic news. It may not require a dental drill!
Drill-less dentistry is also called air abrasion or microabrasion. Air abrasion can be used for all types of dental services such as removing tooth decay or preparing tooth surfaces for sealants, bonding or a crown. An air abrasion instrument works like a little sandblaster. It targets a fine stream of particles at the area that would typically be drilled. After the stream of particles strikes and removes the decay, the materials are suctioned out of the mouth.
What Are the Advantages of Air Abrasion?
Compared with the traditional drilling method, the advantages of air abrasion include:
- Air abrasion produces no heat, pressure, or vibration.
- Air abrasion may reduce the need for anesthesia, particularly if the cavity is shallow.
- Air abrasion leaves more of the healthy tooth tissue behind.
- Air abrasion reduces the risk of fracturing and chipping of the tooth, which some dentists believe can influence the life span of the filling. (WebMD)
Another technology that helps make a dental procedure more quickly and less painful is laser dentistry. Pinpoint-precise Diode lasers are typically easier on the patient and require shorter healing times.
Here are some of the ways dentists use lasers:
- Tooth decay. Lasers are used to get rid of decay within a tooth and prepare the surrounding enamel for the filling.
- Gum disease. Lasers are used to reshape gums and take away bacteria during root canal procedures.
- Biopsy. Lasers can remove a small piece of tissue (called a biopsy) so that it can be examined for cancer.
- Lesion Removal. Lasers are also used to remove lesions in the mouth and relieve the pain of canker sores.
- Teeth Whitening. Lasers are used to speed up in-office teeth whitening services. A peroxide bleaching solution, applied to the tooth surface, is ”activated” by laser energy, which speeds up of the whitening process. (American Dental Association)
Still not convinced? How about . If advanced technology and equipment don’t ease your mind, consider sleeping through your treatment. We offer several levels of sedation for even the most terrified patients.
Dental dilemmas don’t go away. They get worse. (And that’s the scariest thing of all.)
A compassionate, understanding dental team is just as vital as the latest dental technology. At Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark MO, we understand how debilitating dental anxiety can be. Let us help you through your treatment and get you on the path toward optimum oral health. We serve patients from Lake of the Ozarks and Osage Beach and also offer cosmetic and restorative dentistry. Schedule an appointment today.