The word “apnea” comes from Greek, and it means “without breath.” Sleep apnea, then, is sleeping without breath: a condition in which someone’s breathing stops involuntarily during sleep. It is serious, but treatable at Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark.
Sleep apnea is more common than you may realize, affecting more than eighteen million Americans. Left untreated, sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure, headaches, and heart disease, among other conditions.
Types and Symptoms
There are three main types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common type. It occurs when the throat muscles relax during sleep.
- Central sleep apnea is when the brain doesn’t get the body’s signals that control breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea is a combination of obstructive and central sleep apnea.
Anyone can get sleep apnea, even children. But it’s more common in men than women, especially African-American and Hispanic men. Risk factors include being over the age of forty and being overweight.
The most common symptoms include:
- Loud snoring
- Gasping for breath during sleep
- Headaches in the morning
- Waking up with a dry mouth
- Excessive sleepiness during the day
- Shortened attention span
All of this may sound frightening, and it can be. But there is hope, too, because sleep apnea can be treated with an oral appliance from Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark. Patients from Lake of the Ozarks and Osage Beach come to our office for treatment, for our comprehensive general dentistry services. If you think that you may have sleep apnea, please contact us today!
Contact Premier Dental & Oral Health Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
24 North Shore Dr.
Lake Ozark, Missouri