In this post from Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark MO, we share some fun facts about dentistry. Enjoy!
- Many dental patients are aware that before there was formal dental training and licensing, barbers often performed dental procedures. But did you know that blacksmiths also moonlighted as dentists?1 How would you like your dental visit to involve tools used to hammer hot metal?
- The Mayans were accomplished cosmetic dentists. One smile style in Mayan culture was bejeweled teeth – a procedure that involved the drilling of holes to embed precious gems. That’s a grill with major bling!
- The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough to fill up two swimming pools. (Not a very pleasant image, right?)
- Nylon toothbrush bristles weren’t introduced until 1938. Prior to that, pig hair was a common bristle material. (“Mom, my toothbrush smells like bacon!”)
- A popular toothache treatment in medieval Germany was to kiss a donkey. There is no evidence that it actually worked and it is unknown if the same remedy was used by donkeys.
- Every person’s tongue is unique – just like a fingerprint.
- In medieval Japan, black teeth were considered appealing. Style-conscious women used roots to stain their teeth.
Of course, Premier Dental & Oral Health Group in Lake Ozark MO is a state-of-the-art practice! We offer comprehensive general dentistry services. Patients from Lake of the Ozarks and Osage Beach come to us for dental implants, and much more. Schedule an appointment with us today!
Contact Premier Dental & Oral Health Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):